World Press Photo Contest 2021 is now open for application. Professional photographers around the world are called for application for the World Press Photo contest 2020 edition. If you are very good at photography and you want your skills to be recognized by the world at large, then you can grab this opportunity and apply now.
Photographers will be rewarded for the best single exposure pictures contributing to the past year of visual journalism at the World Press Photo Contest. The pictures entered whether singles or stories will be judged in terms of their accurate, fair and visually compelling insights about our World.
World Press Photo Contest Prizes
Candidates who emerge as winners of the World Press Photo of the Year and the World Press Photo Story of the Year awards will be each be receiving €5,000. The prize-winning photographs will be assembled by the contest organizers into a world-wide year long exhibition. They will also be published on World Press Photo’s website across all its social media platforms and also in the annual yearbook. The annual yearbook is available in multiple languages.
World Press Photo Contest Categories
The best visual journalism and awards visual stories will be recognized by the World Press Photo Contest in eight categories:
- Contemporary Issues
- General News
- Long-Term Projects
- Spot News
World Press Phot Contest Eligibility
The eligibility requirements of the contest are written below:
- Professional photographers can apply for the contest. A valid document that proves the current professional status of each entrant must be provided. The following are examples of documents that counts as proof although they are not limited to:
- A letter of reference recently written (2019 or 2020) from a photo agency, photo editor, media organization or publication. OR
- Document of membership from photographic association that is recognized and shows photographer is a professional members. OR
- A minimum of 1 tearsheet that shows your picture/s from 2019 or 2020 with your name visible as credit. It can be in either online or print format from a recognized media organization or publication. OR
- Journalism union membership card. OR
- Press card
- A team that comprises two or more photographers are allowed to apply. Each team member proof of professional status is required.
- The pictures submitted in the name of the photographer(s) must be the work of him/her.
- It is a must that the photographer(s) or the agent or representative entering on their behalf must be the copyright holder(s) or they must have been authorized by the copyright holders to submit the pictures.
- A picture is permitted to enter the contest once either as a single picture or as part of a story, or as part of a body of work in Long-Term Projects. Any picture that is submitted more than once will be removed.
- Whether or not the pictures have been published, they can be submitted.
The pictures to be submitted is required to meet the underlisted specifications:
- Pictures should be uploaded with the original pixel size unless they are cropped. They are not to be scaled neither is the resolution to be changed.
- It is required that IICC profile is embedded. AdobeRGB, sRGB or grayscale Gamma 2.2 are recommended. No CMYK. .
- The pictures are to be uploaded in JPEG format with high quality compression. Winning images will be used for high quality reproduction.
How to Submit Entries for World Press Photo Contest
To submit entries, follow the underlisted steps:
- Use this link to create your personal Picter account. If you have previously entered the Photo Contest, then log in making use of your login details.
- Register for the 2021 World Press Photo Contest on Picter. The contest starts on December 1st 2020 by 12:00 noon (CET). Your personal data as well as your proof of professional status is required for the registration. To ensure compliance with the entry rules, your registration will be reviewed. The right to ask for additional information to help clarify your professional status is reserved by the contest body.
- You can upload your images, add captions, metadata, and other information while your professional status is under review.
- You are allowed to log back into your account and edit your submission until the deadline for submission of entries.
The deadline for entry submission is January 12 2021 by 12:00 noon (CET).
Visit the official webpage via this link for more information