The United Nations Research Institute for Social Development also known as UNRISD is an institute of research within the United Nations system. With the power to control its own affairs, the institute organizes research across multiple disciplines. The UNRISD Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant vacancy is open for applications as the autonomous institute seeks an experienced and qualified researcher to lead their new programme of work on Gender Justice and Development. It should be noted that the deadline date is scheduled for 12th of July, 2020 as the programme is expected to start in September 2020.
UNRISD aims to use their works to ensure that social equity and justice are crucial inclusions to the development policy and practice. Building on the basis of prior and ongoing research, the senior gender justice consultant in collaboration with a small team will lead the development of new research projects highlighting important areas of concern for the United Nation system within the guidelines of the UNRISD Institutional Strategy.
Roles of a UNRISD Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant
The Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant will be responsible for handling certain duties. With the overall supervision of the Director of UNRISD, the Senior Gender Justice and Development consultant is to perform the following tasks.
- Provide concept, develop and manage the Institute’s research programme on Gender Justice and Development, integrating the programme within the UNRISD Institutional Strategy and research agenda.
- Represent UNRISD in international meetings and academic conferences.
- Within this programme, the consultant is to create a portfolio of research and activities in three key areas: (a) perspectives of feminist on climate change (b) technologies, digital and gender economies (c) global governance and anti-genderism
- Provide high-quality publications.
- Act as the focal point for UNRISD in meetings and activities with the UN system on gender-related issues.
- Provide policy advice and technical assistance.
- Lead the mobilization of resources for the research programme, and contribute to the fundraising activities of the Institute.
The UNRISD Consultant is to carry out other activities assigned by the Director or as agreed within the institute and periodically reporting the progress to the Director, the UNRISD Board and donors.
The UNRISD Senior Gender Justice and Development Consultant will gain access to academics and consultants, representatives and officials in national governments, senior officers and technical staff in relevant Secretariat units and United Nation funds, other international organizations, and civil society organizations.
Applicants must possess a Master’s Degree or post-doctorate honours in the field of social sciences with a focus on gender and development.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in development research at research or academic institution.
- Applicants should have a publication record in the field of gender equality, human rights and social development.
- Experience in fundraising for social development research projects, team supervision and project management.
- Proficient in English with proven writing and editing skills; ability to work in other United Nation languages is highly desirable.
The UNRISD Consultant is required to demonstrate professional competences, work collaboratively with colleagues and possess leadership qualities.
Applicants who have been shortlisted will be asked to submit relevant documents and qualifications; carry out a written assignment before being notified if they have been selected for interview. Vacancies in UNRISD are posted at www.unrisd.org/vacancies. Applicants are encouraged to sign up an account at the official webpage in order to be promptly informed of any vacancies.
Visit the official online platform of the United Nations Research Institute for Social Development (UNRISD) for more information.