TED Global Idea Search 2021 is now open for application. Two global idea searches in 2021 are being hosted by TED with a mission to hear big and bold ideas from every corner of the world. A Group of people who will be selected from each application pool will be invited to give TED talks. The talks will be given either virtually or in person.
About the TED Global Idea Search 2021
The search is for ideas that are worth spreading and that is the mission. This means that the search is for new ideas that are unique and that can offer an insight or a new thinking style to a very large audience.
Every talk in TED usually has a topic and an idea:
- A topic is a high level – the general direction in which your talk is based on. An example is: We need to fix the opioid crisis.
- An idea is a particular area that stems from the topic being discussed – a very unique message or insight that you alone can share. An example of an idea: Here’s what it takes to save a life in the opioid crisis.
The winners will get an invitation to give a TED talk either virtually or in person.
The search is open to:
- Individuals who have new and unique ideas and who are capable of offering an insight in a new thinking style to a massive audience.
- Individuals from around the world (ant country)
As part of the submission, it is required that applicants create a two minutes video:
- Making use of good lighting angled towards your face rather than coming behind you, make a film of yourself.
- A stable camera oriented in horizontal framing should be used (a professional camera is not needed for this- a computer or a phone camera can be used). The camera should be set to the highest resolution (The resolutions to be used on most phones is 4k, 1080)
- The sound of the video should be clear and audible (filming outside should be avoided, objects should be prevented from rubbing on the microphone)
- Two minutes should not be exceeded for combining your answers to the four questions. You can write out a script that is around 280-300 words to plan for the two minutes)
- Upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo when you are done and title the video “your name -TED Global Idea Search”. So that a password will not be needed to view the video, make sure that it is listed as “public” or “unlisted”.
Questions For the Video
The following are the questions that will be answered by you for the video:
- Question 1: Who are you and what are your credentials?
- Question 2: What is the idea you want to share?
- Question 3: What insights will you leave the audience with?
- Question 4: why should we invite you to give a TED talk?
Click this link to apply.
January 21st, 2021 (11:59 pm EST) is the deadline for the submission of the video. You will receive an invitation for a virtual event if you have been selected for round 2. At the event, you will talk more about your idea and participate in a Q&A with members of the TED community.
Visit the official webpage via this link for more details about the programme.