The Rhodes University African Studies Centre (RASC) have started welcoming applications for its two Postdoctoral Research Fellowships for 2021. The Rhodes university council has therefore established several Rhodes University, postdoctoral research fellowships, across all faculties which may be awarded for one year with the possibility of renewing the lease contract.
Rhodes University was established in 1904 and has a profound reputation for academic excellence. Rhodes university is not a large university and has a numerical strength of just over 8200 students. It has the distinction of having among the best undergraduate pass and graduation rates in South Africa, also has distinguished post-graduate successfully rate and an excellent research output per academic staff member.
Eligibility Requirements for the Rhodes University Postdoctoral Research Fellowships
Applicants of the Rhodes University Postdoctoral Research Fellowships 2021 are expected to ensure the following requirements are put in place before applying to be considered eligible for the Fellowship:
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree awarded within the last five years, preferably from an institution other than Rhodes university and also has a recognition appropriate to the discipline for which the fellowship is applied.
- Applicants who have not completed his/her PhD as at the time the fellowship is offered must have submitted the PhD thesis by the end of 2020.
- The research office requires a written assurance from the applicant’s supervisor stating that the doctoral degree will be awarded to the applicants.
- Applicants should submit their application through Heads of departments or directors of Research institutes.
Value of the Fellowship
Each Fellowship is a package of R180,000 per year plus an additional allocation of a maximum of R20,000 which will be used to aid the presentation of papers at formal conferences. The fellowship can’t be held at the same time with any added funding.
Conditions of Awards
- The University expects from all applicants that creative works and other academic products of the Fellowship will have enough acknowledgement with full application to Rhodes University.
- The University has the right to joint ownership of invention and parents directly resulting from research conducted under the sponsorship of the Fellowship.
- The University of Rhodes reserves the right to refund of any Fellowship which might be paid to the fellow in any case that the fellow terminates his/her contract before the completion of the Rhodes University Postdoctoral Research Fellowships 2021.
How to Apply
Applicants for the Rhodes University Postdoctoral Research Fellowships 2021 should go through the following to complete their application:
- Applications for the Fellowship has to be made through the potential host department( head of departments) and directed to the research office( directors of research institutes) through [email protected]
The determination of the awards will be decided by a committee made up of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research and Development (chair) and the Director: Research office faculty Deans.
The deadline for applicants to submit their application for the Rhodes University Postdoctoral Research Fellowships 2021 ends on 31 July 2020. Any submission of the application after this stipulated date won’t be considered.