This informs the public about the Malaria Innovation Essay Competition 2023 for African Youth. Details about the Program are given below.
Table of Contents
About Malaria Innovation Essay Competition 2023
The competition aims to foster innovation and creativity amongst young champions in Africa passionate about malaria control and elimination, increase awareness about novel tools and technologies to address specific malaria challenges, and encourage youth participation in the fight against the disease.
By providing a platform for young individuals to showcase their ideas and solutions, the competition hopes to inspire a new generation of leaders committed to eradicating malaria in Africa, ultimately making progress towards a malaria-free continent.
The competition will be structured in two stages:
STAGE 1: CALL FOR ESSAYS
Participants are invited to submit an essay of no more than 2,000 words in any of the following 5 tracks/ thematic areas:
- New Technologies and Approaches: This track could focus on innovative approaches or technologies for preventing, diagnosing, or treating malaria. Submissions could include ideas for new drugs, technologies, vaccines, insecticides, or other interventions that could help to reduce the impact of malaria in Africa.
- Community-Based Solutions: This track could focus on community-led initiatives or programs that aim to prevent or treat malaria. Submissions could include ideas for outreach and education programs, community-based treatment or prevention programs, or other community-driven initiatives.
- Social Innovation: This track could focus on innovative approaches to mobilizing resources or raising awareness about malaria. Submissions could include ideas for social media campaigns, crowdfunding initiatives, or other creative approaches to engaging the public and driving action on malaria.
- Cross-Disciplinary Solutions: This track could focus on innovative approaches that bring together experts from different fields to address malaria. Submissions could include ideas for interdisciplinary research collaborations, partnerships between health professionals and community organizations, or other cross-disciplinary initiatives.
- Youth-led Solutions: This track could focus specifically on solutions that are led by young people in Africa. Submissions could include ideas for youth-led advocacy campaigns, innovative approaches to engaging young people in malaria prevention and treatment efforts, or other initiatives that empower young people to take action on malaria.
STAGE 2: PRESENTATION OF ESSAYS FROM THE TOP 5 CHAMPION GROUPS
The top five participants will be invited to present their essays in a virtual competition through a pitch format. The pitch should be no more than 5 minutes and should focus on explaining the essay and its potential impact, how it addresses malaria innovations, and how youth champions can be good agents of promoting innovations in the fight against malaria.
Language: The submissions are acceptable in English, French or Portuguese languages.
- The top three winners will receive cash prizes of $2,500, $1,500, and $1,000 respectively.
- All finalists will receive certificates of participation and their essays will be published.
The competition is open to all young champions in Africa aged 18-35 who are passionate about malaria control and elimination. Participants may be required to submit proof of age and citizenship in an African country.
While membership in a national malaria youth army is an added advantage, it is important to note that the challenge is open to all youth regardless of their background. Therefore, youth from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to participate, and no academic or health-related profession is required for one to take part in the competition.
Malaria Innovation Essay Competition 2023 Application
For those interested in Malaria Innovation Essay Competition 2023, open this link to start the application process.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 25 May 2023.
Open this link for more details about the Malaria Innovation Essay Competition 2023.
- Chatham House Global Platform for Action Climate and Sustainability Academy Fellowship 2023/2024
- Communicators’ Workshop on Renewable Energy 2023
- MIT Africa Empowering the Teachers Fellowship Programme 2024