Plant Science and Biotechnology is a science curse and it is only suitable for science students to study. The subject combination for the various science courses are not the same as the subjects needed for engineering are not the same with medicine. It would be better for students who are interested in the course to know the JAMB and WAEC Subject Combination for Plant Science and Biotechnology.
This is important because the combination of wrong subjects in WAEC and JAMB is among the reasons why students find it difficult in getting admitted into any Nigerian universities. This content will provide tell you what you need to know about the course, give the JAMB and WAEC Subject Combination for Plant Science and Biotechnology and the universities that offer the course.
What You Need to Know About Plant Science and Biotechnology
Plant Science and Biotechnology is a pure science course that will normally take four years to study if there are no carryovers. It is not a very competitive course to study in the country but the Job opportunities are high. The course deals with the study to various methods and technique to adapt the plant to specific conditions and opportunities.
The career paths in the course are very broad and so the jobs opportunities are much in the country. Below are some of the careers available for one with a degree in Plant Science and Biotechnology
- Propagation scientist
- Greenhouse manager
- Plant journalist
- Soil scientist
One who studied Plant Science and Biotechnology can also choose to work at various farms and research lab.
JAMB and WAEC Subject Combination for Plant Science and Biotechnology
Biology and Chemistry are among the JAMB and WAEC Subject Combination for Plant Science and Biotechnology as the course is a pure science course. Five credits are needed in WAEC (West African Examination Council) to study the course and the subject also applies to NECO. The subject combination in WAEC to study Plant Science and Biotechnology include
- English Language
These are the subjects needed in WAEC for the course but that of JAMB (Joint Admission and Matriculation Board) four subjects are required. In JAMB English Language is a compulsory subject and below is the JAMB Subject Combination for Plant Science and Biotechnology
- English Language
- Physics or Mathematics
List of Universities Offering Plant Science and Biotechnology in Nigeria
There are over 10 universities that offer Plant Science and Biotechnology in Nigeria with different cut-off mark. Below are the universities offering the course in the country
- ADEKUNLE AJASIN UNIVERSITY, AKUNGBA-AKOKO, ONDO STATE
- ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE
- BENUE STATE UNIVERSITY, MAKURDI, BENUE STATE
- EASTERN PALM UNIVERSITY, OGBOKO, IMO STATE
- EDO UNIVERSITY, IYAMHO, EDO STATE
- NASARAWA STATE UNIVERSITY, KEFFI, NASARAWA STATE
- RIVERS STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, PORT HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, BENIN CITY, EDO STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, DUTSIN-MA, KATSINA STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, GUSAU, ZAMFARA STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY, OYE-EKITI, EKITI STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF JOS, JOS, PLATEAU STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF PORT-HARCOURT, RIVERS STATE
- MICHAEL OKPARA UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, UMUDIKE, ABIA STATE
- CALEB UNIVERSITY, IMOTA, LAGOS STATE
- HEZEKIAH UNIVERSITY, UMUDI, IMO STATE
Five credits are needed in WAEC (West African Examination Council) or in NECO (National Examination Council) to study the course. JAMB (Joint Admission and Matriculation Board) cut-off mark for Guidance and Counselling is 160. For a better chance of admission, students are expected to score above 200 in JAMB and pass universities Post-UTME cut-off mark.