Students have been searching for the subject combination for several courses. This is important as it is among the admission requirements that universities need. JAMB and WAEC Subject Combination for Optometry are what you will get in this post. Some students’ courses have been changed because of the combination of the wrong subjects in JAMB and WAEC. Also, for instance, students might be denied admission because of this case. This post will tell you what you need to know about Optometry. It will also bring the universities offering this course in the country.
What You Need to Know About Optometry
Optometry is a science course that mainly involves the eyes and their properties. Since it is a science course, it is only suitable for this set of students. It will take students about six years to study Optometry at the university. This is possible if there are no carryovers. This course is not very competitive, and students might not find the entrance complicated.
Job availability for those who studied this course is high but also very competitive. Graduating with an excellent degree will help you secure a job quickly. Below are some of the skills needed to study this course
- Excellent communication skills.
- An interest in health and a desire to improve people’s quality of life.
- To be able to work with precision.
- An ability to put nervous patients at ease.
- To be able to concentrate while doing repetitive tasks.
Subject Combination for Optometry
The JAMB and WAEC Subject Combination for Optometry are for students who want to study this course.
WAEC Subject Combination for Optometry
You need at least five subjects in WAEC (West Africa Examination Council). You can apply issues in WAEC to NECO (National Examination Council) or any O’level exam. Below is the Subject Combination for Optometry in WAEC
- English Language
JAMB Subject Combination for Optometry
You need only four subjects in JAMB (Joint Admission and Matriculation Board). This examination is responsible for students’ admission into the university, and the English Language is compulsory. The JAMB Subject Combination for Optometry should include
- English Language
- Mathematics or Physics
List of Universities Offering Optometry in Nigeria
Universities offering optometry in Nigeria are also vital for students who want to take this course. It would be best if you also conducted studies about the universities, including their admission requirements. Below are the universities that offer this course in the country
- UNIVERSITY OF BENIN – UNIBEN
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, IMO STATE
- UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN, ILORIN, KWARA STATE
Direct Entry Requirement
- Two (2) ‘A’ Level passes in Chemistry and any one (1) in Biology, Zoology or Physics.
- ND distinction from a recognised Polytechnic or College of Technology in Science Laboratory Technology (SLT).
- HND distinction from a recognised Polytechnic or College of Technology in Polymer Chemistry and Science Laboratory Technology (SLT)
- NCE distinction in Chemistry from a recognised College of Education. In addition, candidates should have credit.
JAMB (Joint Admission and Matriculation Board) cut-off mark for Optometry is 160. Some state and federal universities’ cut-off marks are 180 and 200. Students need five credits in WAEC (West African Examination Council) or NECO (National Examination Council).
Applicants should also pass the university post-UTME. You are to score above 200 in JAMB for a better chance of admission.