This informs the public about the Harvard University Academy Scholars Program 2023. Details about the Program are given below.
About Harvard University Academy Scholars Program 2023
The Academy Scholars Program of The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies identifies and supports outstanding scholars at the start of their academic careers whose work combines excellence in a social science discipline with a command of the language and knowledge or expertise of countries or regions outside of the United States or Canada.
Their scholarship should span traditional disciplinary divisions and elucidate comparative, transnational, or domestic issues, past or present.
The Academy Scholars are a select community of individuals with resourcefulness, initiative, and originality whose work shows promise as a foundation for careers in research universities or international institutions.
Academy Scholars are appointed for a two-year in-residence postdoctoral fellowship at The Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA. They receive substantial financial and research assistance which permits them to undertake robust research projects and skills development in their chosen fields and areas.
These awards are open to recipients of PhD or comparable doctoral degrees (within two years of the August 1, 2024, start date) and advanced doctoral candidates in the social sciences.
Scholars nearing dissertation completion must be able to submit degree conferral documentation issued by their university registrar’s office by June 30, 2024, for an August 1, 2024, start date. Individuals who hold or have completed another Harvard postdoctoral fellowship are not eligible to apply.
Each year, five or six Academy Scholars are named for two-year in-residence appointments with an annual stipend of $75,000, with the two years to be completed within a three-year window.
Year 1 of the fellowship must be taken up no later than the fall immediately following the postdoctoral fellowship offer. Delays or deferrals in the start of Year 1 are not permitted.
Between Years 1 and 2, Academy Scholars may apply for a one-time leave (up to 12 months), either to accept or to continue with a tenure-track teaching appointment but for no other reason. Academy Scholars may not accept other sources of funding, awards, or obligations during their appointment.
Harvard University Academy Scholars Program 2023 Application
The completed application will include:
- Curriculum vitae (CV); including list of publications
- Research proposal (2000 words maximum); including intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work
- One scholarly writing sample (e.g., PhD dissertation chapter or single-authored peer-reviewed academic journal article; 50 pages maximum; in English)
- A copy of your PhD program transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded to the online application directly and confidentially by the recommender by September 22, 2023)
All parts of the application, including the three letters of recommendation, are submitted online as pdf documents. Access the online application through the homepage of The Harvard Academy’s website by clicking on the APPLY ONLINE button.
For those interested in Enterprising Futures Scholarship 2023. Open this link to start the application process.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 22 September 2023.
- Deltas Africa Sub-Saharan African Consortium MSc Scholarships in Biostatistics 2024 | APPLY NOW
- Ingressive for Good (I4G) MasterClass Scholarship 2023 | APPLY NOW
- The South African National Roads Agency SOC Limited (SANRAL) Scholarships 2023 | APPLY NOW