Facebook is considered the most popular social media platform and rightly so. With a user base of over 2 billion monthly visitors all across the world, it is hard to argue with that statement. Facebook has remained at the top due to the expansion of its features year after year in a quest to make the social media platform satisfactory for every user. While it is a place to connect with and meet new people, it can also be a platform for transaction and means of payment. This is a feature on Facebook known as Facebook Pay.
Facebook Pay is a feature on the social media platform that was introduced in November 2019, which helps in moving and transferring money online efficiently and more securely. Basically, users can view it as money sending app or as a service to order items online. This feature is available on the Facebook app, Facebook Messenger and the website as well. Facebook recently announced it’s the intention to bring this feature to its other apps (WhatsApp and Instagram).
List of Countries that can Currently use Facebook Pay
At the time of release, it was only users in the United States can access this service. However, Facebook has rolled out the Facebook pay feature in some few select countries. Facebook pay has made direct debit payments available in the following countries:
- The United Kingdom
- The United States.
It should be noted that if you are not located in any of the aforementioned countries listed, Facebook pay support PayPal, numerous credit cards or co-branded debit cards and local manual payment methods as payment options
The Purpose of Facebook Pay
Basically, Facebook Pay offers two purposes which are dependent on what you want to use it for, either to pay people or to purchase items online. With the plan Facebook has to introduce Facebook Pay to its other apps, below are things you can do with Facebook pay on each of the Facebook apps;
- On Facebook: used to purchase items from the official buying and selling platform on Facebook, Facebook Marketplace, buy event tickets and games, donate to fundraiser groups you support on Facebook.
- On WhatsApp: it is used to send and receive money from family and friends on your contact lists.
- On Messenger: it can be used to transact with friends and family through your phone or computer.
- On Instagram: it is used to donate or order items online from brands you follow
In comparison to the old way Facebook allowed online payment, the idea of Facebook pay is that you can now have the payment method be used all across their other apps. After signing up and choosing a payment method, you can efficiently purchase items and exchange money with recipients on any of these apps.
How to Use Facebook Pay
In order to know how Facebook Pay works, it will have to be a practical case as the most efficient way to start using the Facebook Pay is by attempting to send money to someone. Below are the following steps on how to use Facebook Pay;
- Start by opening a conversation with the person you want to send money or request money from
- Tap on the four dotted menus located on the left of your text field, it might be an arrow if your keyboard is open. Note that this button is a plus “+” sign on computer.
- Select “Pay Friend”. Click on the money icon if you are using the feature on the desktop version
- Enter an amount then select “Request” or “Pay” as the case may be.
- Add your payment details, you can choose “Add Debit Card” if you are located in any of the Facebook Pay Country or “Add PayPal” alternatively if you are not. Desktop users have to use the Debit Card.
- Once added to your account, select the payment method of your choice.
- Choose “ Pay” or “Request” as the case may be to complete the transaction.
In addition, if you want to go back to the screen where payment method can be added to your account, open the menu in Facebook Messenger then click on “Payments”. Proceed to add your preferred payment method which is either Debit Card or PayPal for the app users but the desktop user can only add Debit Card If located in a Facebook Pay Country. However, if you are using Messenger on a computer, open the menu, proceed to Settings, from the Payments section, click “Manage on Facebook” to access the Facebook Pay settings.