Facebook Avatar is a newly released 2020 feature of Facebook that allows users to create or customize their virtual look-alike in order to use as a replacement for stickers or emoji. This feature offers users a means to bid farewell to express their emotions with the basically generic happy, sad, angry, thumbs-up emoji and so on. Facebook Avatar give Facebook users a more expressive means of showing their emotions.
Basically, this is Facebook’s version of the Snapchat Bitmoji feature. Facebook Avatar was initially introduced in 2019 and the Facebook feature has since been made available in Australia, Canada, Europe and New Zealand where it has proven to be a smash hit especially in this period where physical interactions are limited due to the outbreak of the pandemic, COVID-19. However, Facebook Avatar was subsequently made available to Facebook users in the United States and most recently has been made available to Facebook users in India.
Features of Facebook Avatar 2020
This exciting Facebook feature, Facebook Avatar may seem silly but it provides users with a form of self-expression that is relatively limited in the generic emoji and stickers. Additionally, these Avatars are virtual look-alike of the user that created them hence making it more fun than most users may actually think. Although it is fair to say that the Facebook feature draws inspiration from the popular Snapchat Bitmoji, Facebook Avatar app possesses features that are unique. Some of these features are;
- Facebook Avatar possesses a user-friendly interface which has been set up to make the customization process easy to navigate around.
- It has a wider range of Avatar customization which includes varieties of new outfits, hairstyle and complexion.
- The app allows Facebook users to set up their Avatar from either the Facebook Messenger or comment field.
- Facebook can also be used as your Facebook gaming profile. Also, Facebook has plans on making Facebook Avatar available for text posts.
On the digital platform, some comments or text messages can be misconstrued and can be taken offensive when in actuality was meant to be a joke. This is where the Facebook Avatar comes in handy as it provides users with the expressiveness to indicate the tone or lightness of their comment or message so as to avoid any misinterpretation.
How to Create a Facebook Avatar
This Facebook feature, Facebook Avatar, offers users the chance to get creative through crafting a digital character which looks like them and can be used in comments, Facebook stories, Facebook Messenger and Comment section. However, users have to get familiar with how to create a Facebook Avatar. Below are the following steps to help you create or customize your Facebook Avatar;
- Open the Facebook app on your Android or iOS device and click on the hamburger menu (three stacked up lines) at the bottom left or right corner of your screen depending on whether you are using an Android or iOS device.
- Scroll down and click on “See more”
- Tap “Avatar”
- Click on “Next” to get started with your customization
- Select the skin tone that best fits yours and tap “Next”
- Navigate through each section of hairstyle, hair colour, eye shape and colour, eyebrows, face shape, nose shape, facial hair, body shape, outfit etc. Then proceed to customize your avatar to your liking. Furthermore, there is a section for facial lines and complexion if you want to get into extreme details.
- When you are done customizing, click on the checkmark at the top right corner of the screen
Proceed to click on “Next” and then “Done” to view your Avatar in different expressions. Simply tap on the smiley face which is next to the GIF icon to use your Avatar when making comments, then tap on the avatar icon at the bottom of the screen (fourth from the left). It should be noted that while Facebook users cannot create their Facebook Avatar on the desktop version, the feature can be used on the desktop version once created.