The Edward O. Wilson Biodiversity Postdoctoral Fellowship 2020 is inviting interested candidates who are looking forward to applying. This fellowship provides postdoctoral researchers at MCZ in other to pursue the discovery and formal taxonomic description of Earth’s animal species.
About the Edward O. Wilson Biodiversity Postdoctoral Fellowship 2020
The fellows are offered the opportunity to work under the supervision of one or more MCZ faculty-curators, who will make provision for office space, access to lab facilities and necessary support needed for research.
Aims and Benefits
The aims and benefits of the Edward O. Wilson Biodiversity Postdoctoral Fellowship 2020 includes the following:
- Receive stipend of up to $55,00/year
- A maximum of two-year appointment, including funds being offered for year 2 contingent upon the successful performance during year 1
- Residence in Cambridge area is essential
- It covers research and travel allowance of about $4,000/year
- The starting date of the fellowship is flexible, but is withing the 12 months of extended fellowship offer
- Relocation allowance negotiable after fellowship awarded.
To be eligible for the Edward O. Wilson Biodiversity Postdoctoral Fellowship 2020, all interested candidates are required to meet the criteria of the fellowship. They include:
- They are expected to have a Ph.D. with a relevant experience in taxonomy and/or systematics is required.
- All the formal requirements are expected to be fully completed before the opening of the fellowship, although the degree receipt may be forthcoming.
- The EOW fellowship program is available to both citizens of the United States and None citizens of the United States.
- Where appropriate, proposed research is expected to Utilize an integrative approach that brings about the combination of several data types in crafting a solution to taxonomic problems.
- The applicant is expected to identify a minimum of one faculty-curator that has agreed to supervise the fellowship.
Date of the Interview, Process and Venue
Applications would be reviewed by a committee of Harvard faculty. The likelihood that the work proposed will bring about the description of animal species and will be a critical consideration in the selection process. Preference will be offered to applicants that are not currently affiliated with Harvard University, and to those who are in possession of their doctoral degree within the past three years.
How to apply
All interested applicants are expected to use this link to apply for the scholarship.
- First, they are to provide a cover letter that is not longer than one page
- A research proposal that of maximum four pages and single-spaced, is expected to provide details on the following
- The scope and nature of the proposed research project;
- The approach and methods that would be employed;
- How the existing MCZ collections would be Operated and Augmented with the new specimens;
- Equipment and laboratory requirements;
- The proposed MCZ faculty-curator sponsor, and
- The likely products (publications, etc.) that would be finished by the end of the fellowship period.
- Research Budget: it includes a simple, one-page budget that itemizes anticipated research and the cost of travel, not to exceed the fellowship allowance.
- A curriculum Vitae that is not longer than three pages.
- Up to about five pertinent publications.
- Three letter of recommendation that is coming from non-Harvard scientists. It should include names and contact information of the three referees with the application. The letters would be submitted apart from the application via an online system (see below) but us due by the date of application deadline. The application would be completer only when the three letters are received.
- Interview: A subset of applicants may be asked to further discuss their proposals together with the committee of selection via a videoconference.
- Submission should be made via this link.
September 30, 2020.
For more details about the fellowship, visit this link.
CHECK OUT: Citizen Lab Fellowship 2020 on Surveillance, Digital Security, and Race (Up to $24,000 CAD) | APPLY NOW