This is to inform the public about the DAAD “Leadership for Africa” Scholarship Programme 2023. Details about the Scholarship are given below.
About DAAD “Leadership for Africa” Scholarship Programme
The DAAD has launched its new scholarship program “Leadership for Africa” with funding from the German Foreign Office. The programme supports 55 master’s degrees at German universities, with the exception of the subjects of human, veterinary and dental medicine, as well as law, art, music and architecture.
Leadership for Africa offers scholarships for studies in Germany to qualified applicants in all fields of study with the exception of medicine, veterinary medicine, dentistry, law, the arts and architecture. Public health is open for application in the field of medical studies.
In addition to the supported Master degree programme the scholarship includes the mandatory additional training programme LEAD!. The scholarship holder can choose the study programme, they can apply to all suitable Master degree programmes in Germany.
After being granted a place in the scholarship programme they apply directly to their desired study programmes at German Institutes of Higher Education (more information on how to apply for a Master’s programme in Germany and what prerequisites DAAD expects of the Master’s course profile here).
- Successful completion of a Bachelor’s degree at the time of application which meets the requirements of German universities for entering a Master’s degree.
- A Bachelor’s degree of at least 2nd class upper division level is required
- As a rule, not more than 6 years should have passed since the completion of the last academic degree (see important information for scholarship applicants / Section A, point 2)
- Good English or good German language skills
- For Refugees: Copy of Refugee ID card issued before 03.04.2022.
Explanatory note: Please note that the scholarship applicant is responsible for ensuring to apply for admission at the German host university by the due date. The application process for the winter term 2024 is not available at the time of application for the scholarship. Application periods for winter term programmes at German universities usually start in spring every year. Please be aware that a Scholarship Award Letter from the DAAD is only valid if you have been admitted to a master’s programme at a public German Institute for Higher Education.
How to Apply for the DAAD “Leadership for Africa” Scholarship Programme
Note; all documents must be uploaded to the DAAD portal. incomplete application will be formally rejected and will be excluded from the application process. The following document should be scanned in non-certified form and uploaded to the DAAD portal. if you submit documents in your national language, you must include English or German translations.
- Online DAAD application form duly completed (available on the DAAD portal)
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages) containing information about your academic career to date, former scholarships, current address and current or previous employers. Please use the European specimen form at https://europa.eu/europass/en.
- Letter of Motivation (1-3 pages) containing a precise description of your academic/professional and personal reasons for the planned study project. Please also read our Important Scholarship Information / Section B, Point 1.
- DAAD Form “Study course profile” duly completed (please specify 3 Master’s programmes). Please be aware that DAAD does not consider your suggestions of master programmes which charge tuition fees. This should be taken into consideration while deciding for the master programmes. Please also note the information on how to fill in the form ‘Study course profile’. The form can be subject to change every year, therefore only access the most recent version by using the link above.
- Applicants who already hold a Master’s degree or are in the process of completing a Master’s degree can only be considered in well-justified cases, if they can explain conclusively, why they would like to obtain another master’s degree. Please fill in the form “Additional Master’s Degree”.
- Proof of necessary language skills for the desired master’s programmes. Please also read our important information for scholarship applicants / Section A, Point 9.
- University degree certificate indicating final grade(s) including transcripts of records for all study years with all individual grades incl. explanation of grading system
- Copies of your passport/national identification card and copies of your passport’s/national identification card’s biodata page and other documents containing information about you and your current residence status
- For refugees: Refugee ID-Card and UNHCR registration or official proof of asylum by authorities or government.
Other documents that might be of relevance to your application (e.g., certificates of employment and/or internship, proof of former scholarships, extracurricular engagement, recommendation letters, (expired) admissions to a German master programme).
Application via DAAD Portal
You can access the DAAD portal by clicking “Application portal” at the end of the page. Here you will find an online application form in which you can enter your application data.
This is what you have to do:
1. Register in the DAAD portal (Read notes about registering in the portal >>)
2. Applying online in the DAAD portal (Read notes on applying in the portal >>)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- If necessary, translate documents (unless they are already in German or English).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format. Please note that you can only upload PDF files to the portal.
- Upload the completed application form and the other application documents to the portal in PDF format. Translations, if applicable, should be uploaded together with the document issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 9 June 2023.
The applications for the DAAD “Leadership for Africa” Scholarship Programme must be submitted online by 9 June 2023. Open this link for more details about the DAAD “Leadership for Africa” Scholarship Programme 2023.
- Kosovo 2.0 Journalism Scholarship Program
- AREF-MRC Towards Leadership Programme
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships (QECS)
- TWAS-SN Bose Postgraduate Fellowship Programme