This informs the public about CDI’s SCALE Programme 2023 for young Creatives. Details about the Program are given below.
Table of Contents
About CDI’s SCALE Programme 2023
The CDI has opened a new call for applications for its SCALE [Supporting Creatives + Accelerating Local Enterprises] project, supported by the National Treasury’s Jobs Fund. The initiative is recruiting a further 100 South African craft and design entrepreneurs, who will benefit from bespoke training and mentorship specifically designed for creatives and a boost of R23 000 in grant funding each.
The programme in its first round of applications saw a high percentage of women and youth (entrepreneurs under 35) apply and the CDI is calling on more women and youth nationally to get support in this new intake of 100.
The project aims to provide growth-oriented informal enterprises looking to grow their revenue, increase their personal income or employ new staff, with grant support, access to markets, training, and mentorship.
The CDI has for a decade had projects supported by the Jobs Fund, and in previous programmes funding has been specifically for larger, more formal businesses.
The SCALE programme is different – it is designed for those who may be operating more informally and have an annual turnover of under R1m.
It has been designed to reduce barriers – you don’t need to have a registered business and it enables you to grow personally as an entrepreneur no matter where you are in your business development. The SCALE project is a first for the craft and design sector – and we are casting the net wide to support 200 entrepreneurs across South Africa.
Support offered through this project covers the most cited main areas of need identified by individual business owners in this segment: access to markets, finance, and capacity development.
- This second cohort of 100 selected entrepreneurs will start on the programme in July 2023.
- A Business Assessment may be done with each successful applicant, which will assist in creating a roadmap.
- There will be 3 months of specially designed training (via online learning), the facilitation of participation in the CDI’s market platform PEEK, and the development of an intervention/action plan development for the up to R23 000 grant disbursements.Successful applicants will also get administrative support to the value of R5 000 and a total allocation of airtime/data to the value of R3 000.
- The final 6 months of the programme consists of mentoring, the grant disbursements and financial reporting with an additional 6 months of tracking to determine impact.
- The grant will be unlocked as the business owners achieves specific milestones and can be used for the purchase of equipment and/or other professional services.
- Successful participants will be required to report to the CDI team on a monthly basis and be willing to participate in monitoring and evaluation processes.
The programme has been designed with an understanding that as a small owner-driven operation, you need to be hands-on in your business constantly and time is valuable. SCALE works with you, and for you to give you the best possible chance of growth.
CDI’s SCALE Programme 2023 Application
- First, read the full eligibility details and terms in the PDF – click here to download.
- Kindly complete the attached Income and Expenditure template for your business and provide us any supporting documents like bank accounts statements, financial reports and cash registers. Click here to download the template
- If you are eligible, please register as a CDI member if you have not as yet (here), and complete the form below.
Should you have any questions on this project please contact:
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 15 June 2023.
Open this link for more details about CDI’s SCALE Programme 2023.