This is to inform the public about the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program 2023/2024 for postdoctoral study in Canada. Details about the Scholarship are given below.
About Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program 2023
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social, and research-based growth.
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
The Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is unique in its emphasis on the synergy between:
- the applicant – their individual merit and potential to launch a successful research-intensive career; and
- the host institution – their commitment to the research program and alignment with the institution’s strategic priorities
An applicant to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must complete their application in full collaboration with the proposed host institution.
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program Eligibility
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply, provided they meet the following conditions:
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada.
How to Apply for Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program 2023
Applicants must contact institutions/supervisors that they think will be a good fit for them and their research and confirm that the desired institution is eligible to host a Banting postdoctoral researcher.
For those hoping to be hosted at a Canadian institution, please see the Universities Canada website for a list of Canadian academic institutions and their research areas. For those hoping to be hosted at a foreign institution, please follow the instructions in the application guide. Applicants are responsible for establishing these connections.
Many institutions have a page dedicated to this program on their websites. Applicants already affiliated with the proposed host institution must provide justification for remaining in the same research environment (for further instructions see Special circumstances). Applications must be completed in full collaboration with the potential host institution.
- Applicants must be endorsed by the institution’s president (equivalent or designate).
- In order to select the most meritorious applicants for endorsement, many institutions have their own internal deadlines. These deadlines are established by the institution so that appropriate representative(s) can review all applications and select the applicants who will be endorsed. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all deadlines are met. We recommend that applicants contact the institution’s department in charge of postdoctoral affairs as soon as possible to begin this process.
- Applicants are responsible for supplying their proposed institution and referees with the documents necessary for them to write their respective letters. ResearchNet does not grant the referees or host institutions access to view the application or its attachments.
- From the outset of the application process, applicants and their host institution should discuss:
- the details of the fellowship appointment
- any benefits offered to the Banting postdoctoral researcher
- any financial obligations associated with the appointment (union dues, insurance premiums, etc.)
- the availability of any research and/or other support
- the rights and responsibilities of postdoctoral researchers
- any other institution-specific policies that might apply to a Banting postdoctoral researcher
- any established research-related policies and protocols (e.g., protocols for conducting research involving the First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples of Canada; approvals for research involving the use of humans, animals or biohazards)
- the details of the fellowship appointment
- The applicant and supervisor must carefully consider which selection committee should review the application. For more details on choosing the area of research, please see Identify area of research.
The host institution must provide the applicant with two documents that will be included in the application. Applicants are responsible for uploading the documents to ResearchNet as part of their complete application submission. For more information on these documents, please refer to the appropriate sections found at the end of Enter proposal information and supporting documents.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is:
April to September 2023 Applicants seek endorsement from host institution to apply, prepare and submit application (institutions may have internal deadlines). September 20, 2023
Deadline for complete application submission October to December 2023 Evaluation of applications Mid-February 2024 Anticipated notification of results. Applicants will be notified by email when the results are available on ResearchNet. April to October 2024 Payments begin
Open this link for more details about the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships Program 2023.
- YALI East Africa Regional Leadership Program 2023
- The Women In Africa JAMII Femmes Programme 2023
- Truworths Trainee Fashion Graphic Designer Program 2023
- Sasol Foundation Bursary Programme 2023