This informs the public about the AU Media Fellowship Programme 2023–2024. Details about the Program are given below.
About AU Media Fellowship Programme 2023
The African Union (AU) Media Fellowship is a prestigious program that aims to empower African media professionals, journalists and content creators to promote development- focused stories using emerging technologies.
The Information and Communication Directorate of the AU launched the AU Media Fellowship in 2022 with the aim of providing African storytellers and journalists a platform to utilise media to inform, educate and empower citizens; bridge knowledge gaps, and drive Africa’s development narrative in alignment with the aspirations and goals of the continent’s development framework of Agenda 2063.
The objective of the Mentorship program is to provide guidance, support, and expertise to the fellows, helping them enhance their skills, knowledge, and professional growth.
Mentors will play a critical role in shaping the fellows’ understanding of the media landscape, providing industry insights, fostering a collaborative and supportive environment.
- 10 years of experience and expertise in the media industry, journalism, or content creation.
- Sound knowledge of emerging media technologies and trends.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and guide emerging professionals.
- Understanding of the African media landscape, related sectors and development issues.
- Availability to commit to regular mentorship meetings and support the fellows
throughout the fellowship period.
Ability to provide practical insights and industry expertise –would be an added advantage wherein practical knowledge and expertise that can be offered to Fellows on topics including amongst others
- Business planning / Financial planning
- Managing resources for effective operations (on site / in the field)
- How to undertake Research (for content creation, news etc)
- Critical Thinking
- Effective grant writing and applications
- Managing Digital assets for profitability
- Managing your brand – the person / the business
- Understanding your audience / market as a content creator / media player
- Effective Public Sector / Development communication
- Technology and the impact on communication
- Partnering for success
- Journalism /Content creation in the age of Artificial Intelligence (A.I)
- Scriptwriting / copy writing
- Disinformation / Misinformation in the digital age
AU Media Fellowship Programme 2023 Application
Interested individuals should submit their applications, including a CV and a brief statement of interest, highlighting their relevant experience and expertise. The selection of mentors will be based on their qualifications, expertise, and alignment with the goals of the AU Media Fellowship program.
Submissions should be sent via email with the subject line “Mentor Application: AU Media Fellowship 2.0” AUMediaFellowship@africa-union.org
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 1 September 2023.
Open this link for more details about AU Media Fellowship Programme 2023.