Application is currently on for the AfDB Fashionomics Africa Contest 2021. If you are an African designer and a fashion entrepreneur who is based in Africa and is over 18 years and above and is currently in the textile, apparel, or accessories industry and your fashion business has been launched, then this contest has been created with you in mind. Hurry now and apply while the application is still ongoing.
About the AfDB Fashionomics Africa Contest 2021
The focus of Fashionomics Africa’s first online contest is environmentally friendly measures, sustainability, and circular economy actions that are applied to fashion. A challenge prize run by the African Development Bank, the first Fashionomics Africa contest is run in collaboration with the United Nations Environment Programme, Parsons School of Design, and Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s Make Fashion Circular initiative, across the continent.
The current linear take-make-dispose model, characterized by rapid and endless consumption on the continent and worldwide, is giving way to a circular and inclusive fashion value chain.
African fashion brands that will change the method of production, buying, selling, and recycling fashion and encouraging a more sustainable change in consumer behavior and also raising further awareness on the topic itself is what this year’s competition is looking forward to.
The following are the benefits of the contest:
- The best sustainable and innovative design will get a financial reward of USD 2,000
- The winner will be awarded a Fashionomics Africa certificate
- The winner will also be granted access to a network of media insiders and industry experts
- There is a possibility of the winner taking part in online events and sharing insights on key sustainability challenges that are facing the industry
- The winner’s story and a 400-word blog will be published on the African Development Bank’s website and Fashionomics Africa platform
- There is the possibility of the winner attending a Fashionomics Africa webinar as a panelist
- The winner will be granted access to mentoring and networking opportunities via the following:
Parsons School of Design
- With Parsons School of Design Undergraduate co-Director for Fashion Design, Brendan McCarthy, there will be two individual project development mentoring sessions.
- To support project development with Parsons School of Design faculty members, there will be one group critique session.
Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s Make Fashion Circular initiative
- Benefit from Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s Make Fashion Circular initiative network support
- Participate in any one of the Foundation’s live online events to make a presentation on the brand and project
United Nations Environment Program:
Visibility and networking support:
- At an online event organized by UNEP, present the brand’s sustainability journey with the participation of African and international companies, technical organizations, fashion institutes, etc
- Be a part of an online event that is dedicated to Sustainable Fashion during the fifth United Nations Environment Assembly (in 2022)
- Under the UNEP Sustainable Fashion Communication Campaign which will be launched next year, the winner will be featured and also benefit from UNEP social media support
Capacity Building Support
- One exclusive seat will be benefited by the winner to participate in a UNEP online training program on eco-innovation and life cycle approaches
- The opportunity to converse with some of UNEP’s Goodwill Ambassadors.
The eligibility criteria for the contest is given below:
- African designers who are over 18 years old and are based in Africa are eligible for the application. There will be a request for proof of age.
- A fashion business must have been launched by the applicant and he/she must be operating in the textile (fabric making), apparel (clothing), or accessories sector.
- A business that has been recently launched are encouraged to apply. There will be a request for proof of business registration.
The winner of the contest will be chosen according to the following:
- The quality of the sustainable products designed attracts 60 points
- The clear write-up on the brand and its sustainable product. Also, a solid growth plan/strategy on how applicants plan to make use of the USD $2,000 prize which attracts 30 points
- The commitment of the brand to sustainability attracts 10 points
The information needed for the application is written below
- Participant’s personal information
- Information on business about the participants brand
- A maximum word of N2000 write-up to:
- Present the sustainable business model of the brand (from the used materials to the production and end-life of the product)
- Present the supply and distribution channels of the brand, the social engage, net and justice, labor practices (social status of its employees), and additional eco-friendly measures. How consideration for the people who are part of the design/development/production systems is demonstrated by the brand and how products have an impact on people and communities are ensured by the branch.
- Give an explanation of what makes the brand’s flagship products innovative and environmentally friendly
- How the brand define sustainability and how the brand measures its impact on products should be explained
- Why the brand chooses to engage in a specific area of sustainable production should also be explained. The motivation behind this choice should be explained
- If he/she wins the competition, how the fund is to be allocated and spent should also be spent explained.
- Proposed in different angles (at least front and back views), the pictures of the product(s) should also be submitted- The minimum of the product to be submitted is five. For each product submitted, the following information is required:
- The materials used
- The design process
- The production techniques
- The methods put into place to reduce the carbon footprint (if any);
- Information on the life of the product: durability and measures taken to extend the product’s lifetime
- Other needed attachments needed are 1 page visual/textual summary of the brand, press book, look book, and any other relevant document.
To apply, click this link
Application closes on 31st December 2020
For more information, use this link to know about the programme.