Applications are open to the ACDI Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2020/2021. The African Climate and Development Initiative (ACDI) at the University of Cape Town is looking for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow (PDRF) to join a project forecasting climate change risks to wild edible plants and the nutritional consequences for the communities that depend on them.
Table of Contents
About the ACDI Postdoctoral Research Fellowship 2020/2021
The ACDI Postdoctoral Research Fellowship is an amazing opportunity for individuals who want to push further the frontiers in biodiversity and food systems analyses, considering climate change. Research will be based on existing case study and biodiversity data on plants, including workflows for high spatial resolution species geographic range maps.
The research fellow will be motivated to work as part of a diverse research team as they participate and engage with decision-makers in food systems and conservation, and produce peer-reviewed publications. In addition, the fellowship provides the opportunity to work with the African Climate and Development Initiative (ACDI) based team on climate change impacts and adaptation in Africa for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s (IPCC) 6th Assessment Report which is due in 2021.
The ACDI Project research will address the following objectives:
- Synthesize evidence from diverse case studies (Brazil, Turkey, Zambia, among others) on the importance of wild food plants for nutrition.
- Forecast when and where wild-harvested edible plant species are at risk from climate change.
- Assess how wild food plants may help people adapt to climate change risks to food systems.
The general aim of the broader research project is to link these vital objectives in order to provide improved forecasting about climate change risks and adaptation options for biodiversity and food systems that goes beyond staple crops to the outstanding diversity of wild food plants.
The value of the African Climate and Development Initiative (ACDI) Research Fellowship is ZAR 330,000 per year, it should be noted that the extension for a second year is dependent on performance and funding.
CHECK OUT: Princeton University Postdoctoral Research Associate Position in Development Finance 2020 | APPLY NOW
- Applicant should have a Ph.D. which must have be awarded within the previous five years, in a related discipline ( agriculture impact modelling, biodiversity, climate change, conservation biology, ecology food systems).
- Should demonstrate the ability to produce peer-reviewed research articles in international journals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Possess the desire and ability to work in and coordinate an international and interdisciplinary team.
- Experience of handling large datasets.
- Outstanding technical ability to code in R and/or Python, including analysis of biodiversity, agriculture, climate or other geospatial datasets.
The following are some of the desired experiences and qualities expected of the research fellow: Species distribution modeling, experience, and interest in engagement with decision-makers, Experience of controlling online collaborations of computer code using RStudio and GitHub, experience at the intersection of biodiversity, food systems, and climate change, experience in giving oral presentations and interest in public communication of science, experience working with climate data analysis software such as CDO for spatial and temporal analysis of climate data.
Applicants are required to submit:
- An application letter no longer than 2 pages which includes a description of research interests, research expertise, and suggestion for how they can work towards one or more than one of the broad project objectives
- A Curriculum Vitae including a publication list
- Copies of certificates and/or academic transcripts A sample of written work
- Email addresses of two referees who have been directly involved in their PhD and/or previous postdoctoral research.
Applicants are advised to visit the African Climate and Development Initiative (ACDI) official online platform via this link to apply and for more information.
31st of August, 2020.
For more details about the award, visit this link.
CHECK OUT: Earth Institute Postdoctoral Research program 2020-2022 at Columbia University (Paid Position) | APPLY NOW